Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Star Assault
Demon Cleaner 06:31 16th November 2007
I played the 2 Freespace games and have to agree that they are really great, although I haven't finished the 2nd one yet.

I also bought Tachyon:The Fringe for low price some years ago, but I never installed or played it. Does anyone know if it's good?
[Reply]
Harrison 06:53 16th November 2007
I've got that game too and have also never installed it! I bought up all the space games I'd missed on the PC a couple of years ago and am still slowly going through playing them. I've read some reviews of Tachyon: The Fringe and it is meant to be pretty good.
[Reply]
Ghost 09:14 16th November 2007
Hello Harrison,

Is Star Assault really that bad?
I was considering getting it for a friend of mine who is a bit of a space game nut.

Not sure if he has Tachyon: The Fringe.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:03 16th November 2007
It definitely isn't very good. It feels more like a homebrew game than a full commercial release.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:48 16th November 2007
Here is an interest quote taken from the marketing for Star Assault:

Originally Posted by :
Space, the final frontier...

The intro from a famous tv-series could also describe Star Assault - which is a perfect mixture between Wing Commander and Battlestar Galactica.

The story-based single player mode offers the player to accomplish breathtaking missions and tasks. Between the different missions he spends most of the time on a space station or a carrier equipping his space craft with lasers, rockets, shields or different propulsions. The player can choose out of a large variety of ships. Each ship varies in terms of weaponry and flight quality. The force feedback support greatly improves a realistic and stunning experience.
Surely I must have been playing a completely different game? I much check... nope, definitely says Star Assault, and the screenshots match. Not sure what game they are describing, but I don't think whoever wrote that has actually played the game this is meant for.

If any of you really want to see some screenshots then have a look at the official site: http://www.star-assault.com/en/index.html

I also noticed their press page is blank! I wonder why.

Am I being too harsh about this game? After all we don't actually see that many space games released each year. I will give it another play just to see if I was in a negative mood the first time, but i suspect I wasn't. Also if I can't even get through the basic first mission easily without blowing up how hard must the rest of the missions be?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up