Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
4 5 6 7 8
Thread: How old were you when you learned to drive?
Stephen Coates 13:17 24th June 2008
My lessons are an hour each. I tend to do it every two weeks and sometimes every week. Too expensive to do it any more regularly.

I think the theory test used to be about 30 questions, but has since been increased to 50.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:20 24th June 2008
How much are driving lessons these days? I think mine cost £13 for 1.5 hours.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:26 24th June 2008
My driving lessons are £17 per hour.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 12:11 26th June 2008
In Norway you pay about apx. £50 per hour. Yes, it's horribly expensive.
[Reply]
Buleste 12:17 26th June 2008
I wouldn't want to teach someone to drive in the snow so i'd have a low summer rate then in winter crank the prices up if i was in Scandenavia.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:34 26th June 2008
Originally Posted by P G:
In Norway you pay about apx. £50 per hour. Yes, it's horribly expensive.
Wow! How does anyone ever afford to take lessons?

I bet you wish you had learnt to drive whilst you were over here in the UK?
[Reply]
Teho 16:07 26th June 2008
Can't confirm today's prices, but the lessons cost over £30 when I took them. And that's nine years ago now.

Look, basically anything and I do mean anything that has even remotely to do with cars has wild taxes attached to it here. And only a fragment of this is actually used for road maintenance and such, most goes to completely different areas. These car taxes are a major source of income for the government here, so cars and anything to do with driving is just stupidly expensive. That's just the way it is here.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:54 26th June 2008
How much is petrol over there at the moment? More expensive than the UK? Petrol is currently about £1.19 per litre, and Diesel about £1.32 per litre.
[Reply]
Teho 17:12 26th June 2008
Roughly the same here, fluctuates between £1.20 and £1.40. We used to be a lot more exspensive than the rest of the world on fuel as well, but the big increases in fuel prices over the last year didn't affect us much (the plus side of producing your own oil). So nowadays the rest of the world has caught up with the price level we always were at.

I can give you another example on cars and their cost though. You know my car, a Citroën Xantia 1.9 TDI estate? When I bought it, it was ten years old and had run 215.000 km. I bought it for £6.000, and I consider that a very good buy (actually, the buy cost alone was only about £5.300, the associated fees brought it up to around £6.000)
[Reply]
Harrison 23:48 26th June 2008
That is expensive. A 10 year old Xantia would probably be worth about £1500 at most in the UK. Our cars are expensive to buy new, but quickly devalue once they are a couple of years old.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
4 5 6 7 8
Up