Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread: How old were you when you learned to drive?
AlexJ 13:09 13th January 2008
Originally Posted by J T:
They do (or did) that in the 'pass plus' thing. I did that in the hope of getting cheaper insurance. It didn't really work, but was still quite beneficial to me.

I think it's the extra cost that makes people less inclined to do it.
True, but that's an optional thing. I think something like the pass plus should be made compulsory prior to being able to drive on motorways/at night/with younger passengers or something. A half-way licence allowing the holder to drive alone during the day on A-roads could be issued after the standard practical test.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:45 13th January 2008
To be honest if you have a good driving instructor, whilst he can't take you on a motorway, he could take you on a busy dual carraigeway which is similar. And if there are driving conditions that you would like to learn in ask your driving instructor, at worst all he can say is no.
[Reply]
AlexJ 19:01 13th January 2008
Yeah but my point is that you don't have to do any of this (and as a result many will choose not to) - hence why I believe we have so many crap drivers on the motorway in this country.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:58 14th January 2008
If they did make special motorway lessons compulsary for people who want to drive on motorways, would there likely be the option of not doing the motorway bit and not driving on them? It's just that I don't like motorways so I wouldn't really want to learn about using them, not would I actually want to use one.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 11:01 14th January 2008
I doubt it, otherwise it would not be compulsory. To be honest, it would be best to take that part anyway, just as a precaution.
[Reply]
AlexJ 14:26 14th January 2008
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
If they did make special motorway lessons compulsary for people who want to drive on motorways, would there likely be the option of not doing the motorway bit and not driving on them? It's just that I don't like motorways so I wouldn't really want to learn about using them, not would I actually want to use one.
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
A half-way licence allowing the holder to drive on their own during the day on A-roads could be issued after the standard practical test.
Not that any of this idea exists outside of my own mind, something like this would be far too radical for this government. Instead they'll play it safe and either raise the driving age or keep putting more speed cameras in so they can claim at least that they are trying to reduce road deaths.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:11 14th January 2008
I actually think increasing the age to 21 would be a good thing. Under 21's tend to be the age group that muck around the most while driving. And if you look at the current youth of today they are not as mature as they were when i took my test, so I think it does need to be raised.

The only problem then is we would have a lot more annoying mopeds around trying to get up hills doing 20MPH with a queue of traffic behind them!

However I do also agree that people should have to do something in their test relating to different road conditions and situations. Maybe a special testing course instead of on real roads, so the conditions for the tests involved are set up specifically to test each element. This could be taken before the final road test.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:12 14th January 2008
I never understand why people dislike motorways or refuse to drive on them. Motorway driving is 100 times easier than driving on any other road!
[Reply]
Buleste 16:20 14th January 2008
What i find stupid is at the same time they are thinking about raising the driving age to 21 the government is thinking about lowering the voting age to 16. So at 18 you won't be able to drive yourself to work but you will be able to vote for the leader of the country and potentially affect the world. Genius.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:17 14th January 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I never understand why people dislike motorways or refuse to drive on them. Motorway driving is 100 times easier than driving on any other road!
It is bad enough being in a car on a motorway with a competant driver, let alone driving on one myself.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Up