Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread: AmigaOS4 for Classic - 30th November
Teho 04:31 1st December 2007
Originally Posted by :
I've talked about this before, but don't you all think they are restricting OS4 a lot by not making the code compatible with all PPC based systems. PPC Linux can be compiled to run on pretty much any PPC based system, so why not develop OS4 to be the same?
That'd be bloody cool actually, because then you could probably install it on a PS3!
[Reply]
Harrison 23:09 2nd December 2007
That is a great point Teho. It would be really cool having OS4 running on the next gen consoles. Sadly I can't see it happening.
[Reply]
Submeg 09:34 3rd December 2007
Petition anyone?
[Reply]
Harrison 09:39 3rd December 2007
Could you see that helping? Look how long it took for them to write OS4 for the official machine. How long would they take for an unofficial one!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:40 3rd December 2007
I think AmigaOS should stay on Amigas.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:47 3rd December 2007
I don't for the simple reason that the hardware is getting older and older and won't keep working forever. And the Amiga One can hardly really be called an Amiga in the true sense of the word. No custom Amiga hardware or kickstart roms so what is left to make it an Amiga? I think OS4, or maybe the next OS5 should just move over to run on any Intel compatible PC. That would instantly open up its market and sell a lot more copies. Imagine all the old Amiga fans who now no longer own an Amiga, but have a PC. Many would jump at the chance to access the OS again. And build in classic Amiga emulation for original games and software, and include direct support for the CatWeasel controller and you would have a brilliant setup.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:52 3rd December 2007
But the fact that all the software for it is PPC though and that we are unlikely to see a Blizzard-Pentium in the future means it would be difficult to move away from PPC.
[Reply]
Submeg 10:09 3rd December 2007
Still, I would have to say it would be a good idea.....we would get a lot of new members then!
[Reply]
Harrison 10:09 3rd December 2007
Why? current dual core CPUs should be more than fast enough to emulate PPC native code of required, until intel native code started to be written. Apple managed it. Although they do have a slightly bigger budget and resources to hand.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:23 3rd December 2007
Originally Posted by :
Apple managed it. Although they do have a slightly bigger budget and resources to hand.
Exactly. They have more money, more developers,and more users. Therefore switching to intel will have been much easier for them. I'm guessing the fact that their OS is Unix based also might have made it easier.

Yes, it wouldbe good to run OS4 on an Intel, but you have to take into account the fact that lots of people have already spent money on PPCs, and that software is currently being developped for the PPC, and as I said earlier, we don't have any Blizzard-Pentiums, but we do already Blizzard PPCs and I think one of the aims of OS4 is to remain compatible with older systems. And I'm sure the current/future PowerPCs will be more than powerful enough to run all the amiga os/software wile remaining compatible with existing system and not requiring everyone to purchase new hardware and all the developers to develop there software for a different processor.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Up