Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Post your desktop
Cortona 20:51 2nd June 2009
Yep. That's a static wallpaper from Smashing Magazine (a very useful website).

I think it's the more deluded art students and wannabes that think they have to have a Mac for design or new media work. And you're right of course, Creative Suite, for example, is functionally exactly the same on Windows and OS X. I'm not qualified to comment on the differences in how the OSes handle virtual memory and image caching; it may make a small difference to execution speed, especially when you're editing 200MB+ .PSD files.

Emulation for the Mac is dismal. Power64 is great but you have to pay, and E-UAE is derived from WinUAE but it lacks a decent front-end (although there is Hi-Toro) and I've never had it running as well as WinUAE on a PC.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:01 3rd June 2009
Do you run any versions of Windows on your Mac?
[Reply]
Cortona 13:20 3rd June 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Do you run any versions of Windows on your Mac?
No, I'd have to fork out for Parallels and a copy of XP.

One day, when I can afford it, I'll get an Intel-based iMac that comes with Bootcamp, I'll buy XP and then I'll have a dual boot Mac - the best of both worlds!
[Reply]
Harrison 13:33 3rd June 2009
Oh, so you are still using the older PPC macs? Personally I view them as real Macs. Intel macs are just PCs with a Mac case and a different BIOS chip that tells OSX is can be installed.

Have you tried any of the other PPC OSs available for the Mac? Such as Linux distros or BeOS?
[Reply]
woody.cool 19:06 3rd June 2009
Have you tried any of the other PPC OSs available for the Mac? Such as Linux distros or BeOS?
Just out of curiosity, would AmigaOS 4.x work on a PPC Mac?
[Reply]
Cortona 21:00 3rd June 2009
Originally Posted by woody.cool:
Just out of curiosity, would AmigaOS 4.x work on a PPC Mac?
Don't know. But if it does, I'd be very tempted to get it and buy a multi-card reader, then I can transfer files between the Mac and my A1200.

I haven't installed any other OSes on my iMac, although it did come with OS 9 on a DVD.
[Reply]
my_lo 07:21 4th June 2009
Personally I love the modular nature and much cheaper hardware of the PC. Being able to mix and match whatever you like at realistic prices. Plus the software base is huge compared to the Mac. And emulation is dead on the mac compared to the PC.
I agree with Harrison on this. Even if i love the design of Macs, i won't pay more for less performances
But, i must say that i find the desktop of Windows ugly and boring and i don't think that it's getting any better with the newer versions (vista,...). The son of my sister has managed to install Mac OS on his eepc and it works fine.
My dream would be a windows version that would have the looks of a MAC OS (without having to use 3rd party softwares), or at least something a bit better than the usual ugly microsoft design...
But Mac OS isn't the only OS i find more cute, i also like Gnome or Blackbox for example...
[Reply]
Harrison 10:49 4th June 2009
You can trick OSX to be installed on any PC if you have the hacks to patch the installer. It isn't straight forward though and doesn't work with every PC.

As for running Amiga OS4 on a PPC Mac. Some have supposedly achieved it on a Mac Mini. Here is a video showing it in action. There also seem to be quite a few torrent hits for the Mac Mini hacked version of Amiga OS 4. Not sure about compatibility with other PPC macs though.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 22:29 25th July 2009
I love the variations in people's desktops - so many different themes.

Mines just the standard Royal Noir/Remixed theme with a few additions to keep it interesting.

Update - I just added a moon clock as well. It shows the time plus the current cycle!

How cool is that?
Attached: Desktop.jpg (303.5 KB)
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 22:13 26th July 2009
The moon clock is indeed nice
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up