Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Post your desktop
Harrison 14:47 23rd June 2008
Ah! But they are both based on the Mac OSX one originally! And personally it is one thing I really hate on the Mac OS. Especially the newer versions where the icons seem to be getting bigger and bigger with each new release.

In reality it was Apple's way of copying the Windows task bar without making it look too much the same. You have quick launch icons just like the Quick Launch bar in Windows, and open applications appear as icons, just like the taskbar shows open windows in windows. For me it is just too big and ugly on the screen. But as with anything, that is personal preference and as many people like it as hate it. And Mac users hate the Windows way of doing this just as much, although with only 3% of the market being Mac owners you have to wonder who is right.
[Reply]
my_lo 14:52 23rd June 2008
tbh, i didn't know who invented the launcher, i just tried to reproduce my gnome lower bar with big icons for easy launch. If i could chose, i'd go fully blackbox, i simply love the pop out menu but, once again, it bugs so much, i just cant stand it...
[Reply]
Harrison 15:49 23rd June 2008
Something that might interest you. Did you know that the old file manager Directory Opus, from the Amiga, is still being developed, but now for Windows? It is now up to version 9 and is a really good file manager. It is worth giving the free 30 day trial a go to see what it has to offer. The additions it adds over standard Windows features when you open a file window are quite something. The site is www.gpsoft.com.au/
[Reply]
my_lo 10:14 24th June 2008
Wow, that's awesome, i didn't know that one... Thanks for the link ^_-
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 22:46 20th January 2009
Thought I'd post my current desktops, which do have backgrounds, just to satisfy those of you who dislike solid colours.

My Windows 2000 desktop - http://stevecoates.net/stuff/towerdesk.jpg
This features the Amiga Forever font (a Windows version of Topaz). I have had this font on for a while now and have actually started to like it. The background is the base of the cooling towers at Tinsley one day before they were demolished in summer 2008.

My PowerBook 1400 desktop - http://stevecoates.net/stuff/powergirl.jpg
Picture is quite appropriate considering it is a Macintosh. Just slightly too old to be an "iProduct".
[Reply]
woody.cool 19:22 22nd January 2009
On my laptop, I'm currently trialling Windows 7 Beta
So, here it is:

I'll post desktop pictures for my other PCs soon.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:17 22nd January 2009
What are your thoughts of Windows 7 so far? I've not had chance to test it out myself yet, but I've been reading that most people are already preferring it over Vista and say it's more stable and faster. The question is, is it really a new OS... the next in the series. Or is it really just a repaired update to Vista, much like XP SP2 was, or Win 2000 SP2. Especially when you look at that common service pack release for each version before they are stable and nice to use.
[Reply]
Buleste 10:11 23rd January 2009
More to the point have you disabled Autoplay?
[Reply]
woody.cool 20:58 29th January 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
What are your thoughts of Windows 7 so far? I've not had chance to test it out myself yet, but I've been reading that most people are already preferring it over Vista and say it's more stable and faster. The question is, is it really a new OS... the next in the series. Or is it really just a repaired update to Vista, much like XP SP2 was, or Win 2000 SP2. Especially when you look at that common service pack release for each version before they are stable and nice to use.
Hmm! Well! I have varied opinions on Win7

It's basically Vista that's been fixed in a lot of ways .... but MS have p****d me off .... they took out 'Classic Start Menu'

Also, I think Win7 Beta is an unstable piece of sh!t.
Some of my apps don't work (but do in Vista) but it is only a beta so there's hope that it might get fixed for the final realese, but ICQ won't even start on Win7 but works fine on Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium.

Very strange indeed.

as promised, more desktop pictures:

This one is taken from my machine at work that runs Windows XP Professional SP3

woody.cool's work PC

and this one from my home laptop running XP Pro SP3 again:

my home laptop after the big format .... caused by Win7 completely shafting the file system on C:

more will follow (for my home PC, my server and my nice shiny new netbook)
[Reply]
woody.cool 22:58 4th February 2009
I also run Linux on my laptop (dual boot) so here's my Ubuntu desktop:

woody.cool's Ubuntu 8.10 installation - dual booting on his laptop

As you've noticed ..... same desktop wallpaper!
Also, my Data drive (which is NTFS) is mounted and can READ and WRITTEN in Ubuntu .... that's something I'd never have thought possilble in Ubuntu after my previous struggles to be able to write to an NTFS file system under Linux.

Happy dayz
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up