Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: So looking forwards to Half Life 2 Episode 2
Ghost 23:38 9th October 2007
Hello all,

This isn't really news but it is one of things I am so looking forwards too and its also why I hated that September went so slowly.

In a couple of hours from now the game will be released on STEAM, allowing those who preloaded the game to finally play it.
Unfortunate I don't have any online payment options so I will have to wait until the boxed versions.

This is a bit of an annoyance to me, the boxed version (The Orange Box) was supposed to come out this Friday but now it has been postponed to next week Friday.

I really am going to have to resist visiting Wikipedia in the coming week as I ruined the upcoming Metroid Prime 3 Corruption this way (I couldn't help it, Nintendo made us European fans for two months extra!) and I really want to enjoy Half Life 2 Episode 2 as it is intended.

Dammit, one more week.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:32 10th October 2007
You could always take the other route and play it before official release.

So as not to ruin it for you, all I will say is that it is much better than the first episode. Much longer and finally letter you leave the city behind and explore the outside. The new enemies are also much smarter and you can no longer just hide or take cover as they can track you and even work out where you are heading and get there before you, which can be quite a surprise.

You will definitely like Episode 2 once you finally get to play it.
[Reply]
Tiago 10:26 10th October 2007
How many half life 2 versions exists?
I played some months ago Half life 2... i thing it was normal version. You now talk about episode 2.... there was an episode 1, or that was the normal game?
the one i played was not as expansion pack, was the intire normal game. So that one the episode 2 is an expansion or new game ?
[Reply]
Ghost 15:30 10th October 2007
Hello Tiago,

Well there is Half Life 2, the official sequel to Half Life 1, game of the year 1998.
After that Valve started to make episodes (fancy names for expansions but the difference compared to Opposing Force and Blue Shift for HL1 is that you play Gordon Freeman in the Episodes).
Episode 1 was released last year (sadly a couple of weeks after my mom's passing ), and today Half Life 2 Episode 2 is released on STEAM.

There is also going to be a boxed version called the Orange Box that includes HL2, HL2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Portal (a puzzle game) and Team Fortress 2.
This was supposed to be released two days after Episode 2 on STEAM but someone screwed up and seeing as Electronic Arts is the distributer I blame them.

Okay you probably have the question; why would people who have Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 1 buy a boxed version that also includes the two games they already have.

Well there was to be a Black Box edition too that only included Episode 2 and Portal but for some reason (probably to make more money) that one got cancelled and now you have to pay the full price for a package that might include two games you already have.

Valve claims to compensate this by allowing you to give away the activation codes for Half Life 2 and Episode 1 to friends who can download the games from STEAM for free.

Hope that clears things up

Hello Harrison,

It would probably be best if I contacted you privately, there might be snooping Valve eyes around.
[Reply]
Tiago 15:41 10th October 2007
Ok, so the game i played was Half life 2 ("no episode")

so now i can play
Half life 2 episode 1
Half life 2 episode 2

Is there a sequel in game story? Do i need to play episode 1 to understand episode 2?
[Reply]
Ghost 16:09 10th October 2007
Hello Tiago,

Yes there is, the actions of Half Life 2 directly influence the events in Episode 1 and so on.
[Reply]
Tiago 16:18 10th October 2007
Ok, so i better play episode 1 before 2.
[Reply]
Ghost 16:28 10th October 2007
In your case I would suggest that you get the Orange Box, then you have all the games.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 20:00 10th October 2007
To any interested PS3 or 360 users the Orange box will be released for them on
PS3 - November 16, 2007
360 - October 19, 2007
Looks like another PS3 game thats been delayed over the 360 version. Not that I could care really - warhawk will keep me going until the 19th Nov!
[Reply]
Sharingan 07:27 11th October 2007
Let's hope the console versions won't be crappy ports, as we've seen so often.

And Ghost, I can relate to ruining a game's experience by looking them up through sites like Wikipedia and IGN. It's funny how the eyes can catch the biggest spoilers even when you're quickly skimming over the text looking for the information you DO want to see.

Other places you might want to avoid are message boards relating to the game. Never know when some asshole thinks it's funny to post a topic named 'AERIS DIES! HAHAHAHA!', or something to that effect (I'm assuming that everyone has already played FFVII by now )
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up