Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Won this and worried about bank transfer
Harrison 13:34 2nd October 2007
Paypal changed its rules a while back so that a personal account could only be used to send and not receive payments. This was a clever way of ebay/paypal forcing all to upgrade to a premium/business account if they wanted to receive payments, which in effect means ebay are receiving two lots of money for every auction (auction fees and final price fee + paypal fee) if paypal is used!
[Reply]
Bloodwych 13:40 2nd October 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Paypal changed its rules a while back so that a personal account could only be used to send and not receive payments. This was a clever way of ebay/paypal forcing all to upgrade to a premium/business account if they wanted to receive payments, which in effect means ebay are receiving two lots of money for every auction (auction fees and final price fee + paypal fee) if paypal is used!
I agree that was very naughty of them and caught me out last year. Ebay makes more money than a small country, no bull, and the charges are extortionate and should be managed better since they are running a practical monopoly. PayPAL charges as well are just taking things too far.

At the very least, only people who are running a business should be charged for receiving payments, not someone who sells one thing a month.

The only good thing is the buyer protection plan.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:54 2nd October 2007
The buyer protection plan isn't fair either. As a seller, if you send an item to someone who states they don't want postal insurance, and then they complain to paypal saying they never received the item, you have no proof it was posted (no registered tracking number) so have no way of proving you posted it, and Paypal will demand you refund the buyer without question.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:02 2nd October 2007
What if you got a certificate of posting from the post office? Or maybe even make a video which shows you packing the item, taking it to the post office, and the person at the post office giving you the proof of posting. I can't see any better method of proving that you posted something without a tracking number

Is it easy to claim back from royal mail if an item is lost? I have never done it as the only item I sent that got lost was worth about £2 and the buyer hadn't paid for it yet. But, Royal Mail have lost 3 items that I have bought this year. Luckily they were all replacable.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:58 2nd October 2007
A proof of posting certificate should be OK as long as you made sure the full name and address of the buyer was included on the printed receipt and it is stamped by the post office.

As for claiming compensation from Royal Mail... NO it isn't easy or straight forward, and if you only sent something Recorded Delivery then you will get a book of stamps back as the most compensation you will receive. If you send it with actual postal insurance then you are more likely to be able to claim back the cost of the item lost in transit, but you have to be able to show that the item didn't arrive at its destination using a tracking number, and you have to have the original proof of postage receipt, insurance and recorded/special delivery slips. Even then it can take a long time to claim anything back.
[Reply]
StuKeith 14:33 8th October 2007
Turned up today! Cant wait to stick it in and try it all out!
[Reply]
Sharingan 14:37 8th October 2007
Someone with a more perverse mind than mine might interpret that in the wrong manner, y'know.

But congrats! Tell us about your new toy when you've tested it.
[Reply]
J T 16:21 8th October 2007
Originally Posted by StuKeith:
Turned up today! Cant wait to stick it in and try it all out!
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Tell us about your new toy when you've tested it.
Hope it came with batteries.
[Reply]
StuKeith 16:22 8th October 2007
Took a while to get working. Tried it in both my A1200 and non would come on! so wiggled it a bit and slid back in and out and it worked!

Put it back in my normal A1200 and same again, wouldnt boot. bit of a wiggle and YEA!!

tried my 32mb simm but power light just keept flashing so I assume that its too fast for the card to use. Stuck the 8mg and works fine!

I can now play DOOM! for the 1st time in 10 years I get to play it! I know it sounds trivia, but ive always wanted to play this, Quake and genetic species.

NEXT STEP D1200 TOWER CONVERSION with USB!
[Reply]
J T 16:28 8th October 2007
Originally Posted by StuKeith:
Took a while to get working. Tried it in both and non would come! so wiggled it a bit and slid back in and out and it worked!

Put it back bit of a wiggle and YEA!!

tried flashing

See earlier post.

*FNARK*
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up