Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Thread: PS3 news and tidbits thread
Harrison 05:38 25th November 2009
Yep, apparently it has been causing the PS3's equivelant of the RROD, which shows itself by the power light blinking red when you try to switch the system on.

It is however fairly easy to fix for anyone with the right equipment and patience. It is due to the heat in the system making the solder connections brittle and cause system errors. Doing something called reflowing fixes over 85% of dead PS3s. This involves applying a hot air gun at 350 deg C for 15 seconds to each of the PS3s main chips to make the solder reflow, reseating their connections to the motherboard. It obviously requires a complete strip down of the PS3 to do this. A 6 part video is on youtube detailing it if anyone ever has this problem. BTW, a paint stripper gun can be used in substitute for a hot air rework station.
[Reply]
Submeg 08:11 25th November 2009
geez that's a bit scary....I do have an old PS3, so yikes! Cheers for the recommendations! One of the games that was said to avoid I had marked as a possibility, so good to know I can knock that off the list!

Still unsure about Fallout, seeing as the first two were awesome....what's it like? I like FPS and RPG...so I'm unsure...
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:31 25th November 2009
I didn't like Fallout 3 much, but have to say that I only played for about 10 hours and I found it to be quite boring.
[Reply]
Teho 09:01 25th November 2009
Fallout really is just a post-apocalyptic skin for Oblivion. Most of the gameplay works exactly the same, the sneaking, using red/white text to note if taking an item is considered stealing or not, a lockpicking minigame (though a different one) aso. If you buy it because you want more of the first two games you will be disappointed. If you buy it for what it is though you should enjoy it because it really is a great game in its own right. Its just not a good Fallout sequel. They could easily have changed the few references that are there and called the game something else, and no-one would have known it could have been Fallout.
[Reply]
Submeg 10:27 25th November 2009
Originally Posted by Teho:
Fallout really is just a post-apocalyptic skin for Oblivion. Most of the gameplay works exactly the same, the sneaking, using red/white text to note if taking an item is considered stealing or not, a lockpicking minigame (though a different one) aso. If you buy it because you want more of the first two games you will be disappointed. If you buy it for what it is though you should enjoy it because it really is a great game in its own right. Its just not a good Fallout sequel. They could easily have changed the few references that are there and called the game something else, and no-one would have known it could have been Fallout.
Well that's just a bit disappointing...they shouldn't have called it Fallout then. Fallout was great for the way the game ran...the fact that it's a FPS just doesn't make sense
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:34 25th November 2009
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Of the games that are to be released, these are probably safe bets:

- Demon’s Souls
That is already out since 1 month.
[Reply]
Sharingan 11:09 25th November 2009
Not in Europe, is it?
[Reply]
Harrison 11:27 25th November 2009
As Teho said, Fallout 3 is a great game in its own right, but not a great game from a Fallout point of view. You mentioned you liked the first 2 games, so it could easily disappoint. It does use a lot of ideas and story elements from the series, but is definitely more a cross between Half-Life 2 and Oblivion than a Fallout style RPG.

The problem with Fallout 3 is that it can get very boring if you try to play it like just an RPG, exploring and just trying to find what is out there. If you stick to the missions and side quests it removes that and creates a great experience. Although just heading into the main city and exploring the rubble and underground is great fun and quite tough going.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:57 25th November 2009
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Not in Europe, is it?
Nope, but as it's a PS3 game, meaning region free, you can order it from the states.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:02 25th November 2009
Are all PS3 games region free and will run on any PS3?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Up