Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Thread: PS3 news and tidbits thread
Bloodwych 11:20 19th August 2009
I agree Demon Cleaner - thanks for posting the links, I enjoyed reading up on it all.

The slim must use 45nm chips perhaps?

I think mine has a 65nm CPU and 90nm RSX - it's the CECHK 80GB.

Even then, I wish it had 4 USB ports like the earlier 60GB models. I have a mouse and keyboard plugged in and end up charging the controller on my PC!

Progress also means cheaper design unfortunately. This is the console that will really make the PS3 mainstream this xmas.

I'm going to be a snob and turn my nose up at the kiddy slim!
[Reply]
Harrison 12:22 19th August 2009
It's not really that much smaller than the origina, however with the PSU now internal to the system it makes it neater, and a 120GB HDD as standard is quite nice. It definitely doesn't look as good as the original glossy one and the touch buttons looked better. But for the price reduction, cooler, quieter running and reduced power consumption it is an interesting evoluton of the original.

And the HDD can still be swapped out and upgraded, so that is useful.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:23 19th August 2009
Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
I wish it had 4 USB ports like the earlier 60GB models. I have a mouse and keyboard plugged in and end up charging the controller on my PC!
You can use USB hubs with the PS3. And you can get very small 4 port hubs.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 13:36 19th August 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
with the PSU now internal to the system it makes it neater
The PSU is internal on the fat model too?

Yeah, I should perhaps get a hub. To be honest though, I have my PC on loads and it's not an issue charging it on there most the time.

As you mentioned, the 120GB hard drive is nice and still being swappable is vital if I was ever going to purchase it.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 19:45 19th August 2009
Another thing about non-fat-boy-slim.

You can't install Linux or a third party OS on it.

Definately not getting one ever now, as that's what I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into mine for! The fact it can be used as a computer really appeals to me and one of the reasons I got a PS3 in the first place.

And although it's slimmer - it's also longer from front to back!
[Reply]
Harrison 22:00 19th August 2009
You can't install a third party OS? That's not good!
[Reply]
Bloodwych 22:19 19th August 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
You can't install a third party OS? That's not good!
Let's hope it's just a Sony rumour to shift the older fat boys.

I'd miss a feature like that a lot.
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:01 29th August 2009
Jesus Christ. There's a guy on PSN (PSN user Hakoom, search the name on Google) that is currently a level 18 (Trophy-wise) and has ... prepare for it ... 63 Platinum trophies. WTF.

Now, some of you might not grasp the exact grotesqueness of this bit of information, so just imagine this: a Platinum trophy is awarded only when you do and unlock just about everything there is to do in a game. This includes things like finishing the game on Ultra Hardcore difficulty level without using continues or saving, finishing a game in 2 hours flat when the average gamer might take 12-15 hours, kill the end boss using only the bare fists, racking up 50,000 online competitive kills, collecting stuff, finding secrets etc.

In other words, it takes a HELLUVA LOT OF TIME, sweat and frustration just to achieve one measly Platinum trophy (there are PS3 games out there that would take 70-80 hours AT LEAST to do everything for).

And this guy has 63 of 'em.

I can't begin to fathom what kind of life this person has. Either he's just really skilled, or he has very little else to do other than playing video games.

He's rich, though, considering he owns like 500 games.
[Reply]
Submeg 00:16 30th August 2009
that is just scary.
[Reply]
Teho 09:59 30th August 2009
That is pretty insane. Also remember that Trophies has only been available just a little over a year!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Up