Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Thread: PS3 news and tidbits thread
Demon Cleaner 13:05 4th June 2009
Quantum E3 trailer, Gears of War for PS3?
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 00:14 13th August 2009
Retailers have suggested that stock shortages of the PS3 are to make way for a slim console.
The current lack of hardware available from Sony suggests that a new version of the machine could arrive within a few months.
"Sourcing PS3 stock has been a challenge for the last two to three weeks," a retail source told MCV. "There are obviously lots of rumours flying about as to why that might be.
"I don't think it's to do with demand. Sales are low at the moment and have been for a while. We've been told not to expect any further hardware deliveries until September."
Another insider from a leading chain said that it won't receive stock until the end of the month at the earliest.
The shortages coincide with reports that two manufacturers in Taiwan are currently producing the slim consoles for release in the autumn.
It is expected that Sony will reveal its future hardware plans at next week's GamesCom conference.
[Reply]
Harrison 02:07 13th August 2009
Awe! Interesting.

There has been rumour of reducing the price of the PS3, so maybe a slim version will use cheaper to manufacture components (such as combining chips) and help reduce cost.

If this happens I just hope Sony don't reduce the feature set of the PS3 Slim.
[Reply]
Tiago 07:55 13th August 2009
How much does it cost now in UK? I found it here (PT) at 299 Euros with one game pack.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:39 13th August 2009
£299 in most places, so slightly more expensive than the Euro.
[Reply]
Tiago 10:50 13th August 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
£299 in most places, so slightly more expensive than the Euro.
I found it here at 299 euros in Fnac stores, i think you have it to in UK...
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:08 13th August 2009
There's a lot of rumors about a slim version lately, and it's also rumored that it will be presented now the 18th of August in Germany at a games convention. Let's wait.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:11 19th August 2009
First official pictures of the PS3 Slim, smaller, lighter, with the same features than the original model. HDD is 120GB.

http://www.areagames.de/games/slides...ktbilder/95595

Apparently available from the first week of September on for 299€!

EDIT: Unpacking can be seen here.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 10:00 19th August 2009
Well, I've got mixed reactions to the slim.

It uses less power, doesn't attract dust or finger prints and is cheaper to manufacture for Sony...

...but I prefer the older fat one for looks. It just has a more classy appeal to it and the size isn't an issue when all it does is sit under a TV. Lower power usage is a big plus point though for the slim.

The newer one's push/click buttons look horrible and with its dull plastic finish it just looks cheaper.

I bet the blue ray drive isn't as good and reliability has to given a good test over the next year.

Guess the fat is dead now but I won't be selling up to get a slim.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:04 19th August 2009
I never sell any of my consoles either, and of course I wouldn't swap now. The fat PS3 price should also be down now at 299€, so that the price for both is the same.

You're right when you say that the fat one looks nicer, the only really thing is indeed the lower power usage, but I don't use mine every day for hours, so that it doesn't matter that much for me.

And like you say, mine is also on a cabinet under the TV, and the only thing you can see is the front of it.

I will probably get one by the end of the PS3 era, like I also got my PSOne and PSTwo. Or of course if my fat one dies, which doesn't hopefully happen.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Up