Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Thread: PS3 news and tidbits thread
Sharingan 14:41 26th November 2008
Yeah, online is generally region-locked, though there are games that allow you to manually connect to a different region (Motorstorm Pacific Rift is one such game). Wouldn't want to play with spotty-faced Americans, anyway

As for high definition standards, there's no longer the whole PAL vs. NTSC issue anymore, if that's what you mean. Just the two standard HD resolutions: 720p and 1080p (and 1080i, if you choose to include that).
[Reply]
Harrison 14:45 26th November 2008
I'm sure there is something different about the US vs European HD resolution standards though. In a video authoring conference I attended a while ago they mentioned something, and I think it might have been related to framerates, with US HD maybe running at a different framerate to EU HD. I will have to look though the HD standards specs and have a look.
[Reply]
AlexJ 18:18 26th November 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I'm sure there is something different about the US vs European HD resolution standards though. In a video authoring conference I attended a while ago they mentioned something, and I think it might have been related to framerates, with US HD maybe running at a different framerate to EU HD. I will have to look though the HD standards specs and have a look.
Broadcast HD does indeed run slightly different framerates in US/UK. It's 25Hz 1080i or 50Hz 720p in the UK and 30Hz 1080i, 60Hz 720p in US. It's a carry over from the old days, but I'm not 100% sure why, the frequency of the mains supply shouldn't be a factor in framerate on LCD/Plasma TVs any more.

A lot of HD sets will work fine with both systems as the sets will be sold in both markets (and I believe it is also a requirement of TV's displaying the 'HD Ready logo')
[Reply]
Sharingan 21:48 27th November 2008
European PSN store updated. Demos of Age of Booty, Dead Space and GTI Club. Age of Booty looks like a fun game.

Also, a free turkey head costume for LittleBigPlanet and a Chimera costume for 2 bucks. Although I think the price for the paid costumes is a bit steep, Media Molecule is nice for bringing out weekly freebies as well. I'm actually waiting for some more significant DLC, such as additional music, building materials with certain themes (how about a Resistance-themed pack?), other backgrounds etc.
[Reply]
AlexJ 22:35 27th November 2008
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Also, a free turkey head costume for LittleBigPlanet and a Chimera costume for 2 bucks. Although I think the price for the paid costumes is a bit steep, Media Molecule is nice for bringing out weekly freebies as well. I'm actually waiting for some more significant DLC, such as additional music, building materials with certain themes (how about a Resistance-themed pack?), other backgrounds etc.
I'd prefer them to sort out the online play - it lags so badly that anything where f.e. you need to perform several jumps in a row without stopping becomes almost impossible. It spoils what should be one of the best aspects of the game.
[Reply]
Sharingan 14:26 28th November 2008
Yeah, I haven't played LBP much online because of the server issues. Still having a blast with the single-player mode, though, and planning to dive into the level editor sometime soon.

On another note, Resistance 2 is a winner, in all respects. Superior to Resistance FOM in every way. The first level alone is going to drop some jaws, guaranteed.

Let's try the online co-op mode sometime; apparently, it's a lot of fun.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:28 28th November 2008
Hopefully I will get my copy soon, I just finished Fall of Man.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 21:14 29th November 2008
Not to mention Syndicate Wars is available as a full download for just under £4.
[Reply]
Sharingan 11:15 30th November 2008
Heh ... the online cooperative game in Resistance 2 is hilarious. I've been spending more time on it than the single-player campaign. Addictive, too.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:32 15th December 2008
@Submeg

I notice every time I start my PS3, that you've not been online for over 130 days now, do you still use your PS3?? If not online, offline perhaps??
[Reply]
Tags:Array
11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Up