Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29
Thread: PS3 news and tidbits thread
Sharingan 10:40 1st August 2008
The intro is actually not as good - in fact, quite boring even. It's rendered using the in-game engine as opposed to being CG, so it looks a bit wooden and lifeless.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:00 1st August 2008
I'm always amazed how the push the bar a level higher with each release of a fighting game, but I would never buy one, I don't really like beat'em up games. Can be fun for 30 minutes with a friend, but worth a buy? Not in my case.
[Reply]
Sharingan 16:27 9th September 2008
The coming months will see some spiffy titles being released. Personally, I'm most eager to get my hands on Resistance 2, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet and Valkyria Chronicles, though I might give Mirror's Edge, Bioshock and SOCOM: Confrontation a try as well.

Not sure about Silent Hill: Homecoming. As far as I know, the development of that one was handled by a different team, and the previews haven't been exactly glowing so far.

Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Wipeout HD
Golden Axe: Beast Riders
Rise of the Argonauts
Saints Row 2
Far Cry 2
Bioshock
LittleBigPlanet
SOCOM: Confrontation
Fallout 3
Resistance 2
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirror's Edge
Prince of Persia
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
The Last Remnant
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:10 9th September 2008
I'm looking forward to Valkyrie Chronicles and The Last Remnant of course, but I'm also surely getting Resistance 2. I have Bioshock for the 360, and I got it for about 10$ on ebay, along with Gears of War and Halo 3.

I saw them playing Silent Hill at Giga TV yesterday, although the gameplay was not bad, the graphics weren't polished at all. Even Silent Hill on the PS2 had better cutscenes, but the game is not finished yet, so hopefully they will still adjust some things.
[Reply]
Sharingan 21:06 10th September 2008
I'm also hoping they'll bring out those PSN prepaid cards sometime soon. There's quite a bit of stuff in the Store I'd like to try, but since I don't have a credit card (nor do I want one), I've had to let that stuff pass me by.

Siren: Blood Curse looks to be great, for example - definite pant-pissing material!

Another development I'm glad about is that multiplatform titles these days are virtually indistinguishable between the PS3 and 360. It's reassuring to know that developers are spending more effort and resources to optimise for the different architecture used in the PS3. Quite a change from the situation a year ago, when shoddy ports were the norm.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 22:58 13th September 2008
Just had a go on the beta for Motorstorm. For those who played the original, it is more of the same. But all of it a little bit better. The grafix are cleaner, more detailed. The music is definitely more of the same... The physics seems to be more accurate (not that I have ever driven my truck off a cliff just to see how my body reacts to each bounce...), the other thing is that it does have a little bit more in the way of players. YES! Motorstorm has gone TWO-player!!!

Should be good fun.
[Reply]
Teho 23:16 13th September 2008
I've tried it for a little bit as well. I have to say I was disappointed. But I didn't think the first game was that great either mind. The track this demo offered was very uninspired to say the least, more boring than any of the tracks in the first game. And whether or not you get a good result still feels like is based on random chance rather than having anything to do with skill at all, which was one of my biggest issues with the first game. Sometimes you just played the same race over and over hoping the game would eventually let you win it. The chaotic nature of the races in Motorstorm is fun for a little while, but once that wears off there's not much left to enjoy. And this demo tells me that the sequel will be no different. I won't be standing in line to get this. If it does get great reviews I might pick up the eventual platinum release.
[Reply]
Sharingan 08:38 14th September 2008
While I did enjoy the original Motorstorm, I've got to agree that the randomness of it could get rather frustrating (not so much an issue when playing against human players). The way the A.I. works is: when you're in first place, everyone else gets a speed boost. So, no matter how pro you are, no matter if you don't make any mistakes from that point onwards, if you're in first place, you'll get overtaken eventually. It's a way to artificially increase the difficulty of the game, but IMO, it stinks.

The trick to win races is basically to hang back a little, and only boost past the leading car for the win when you're nearly at the end of the last lap.

And yeah, according to most people who've tried the demo, the track featured there wasn't exactly the best, but there's supposed to be 16 in the full game, so all hope's not lost
[Reply]
Sharingan 15:17 14th September 2008
Apparently, the demo that was released to the public was from an old build of the game. The final game promises to at least LOOK quite a bit better.

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:26 17th September 2008
Received Mercenaries 2, but didn't try it out yet.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29
Up