Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Joysticks for Amiga
Teho 09:01 5th October 2007
Zipstiks are easy to open and so is replacing the microswitches. So if you have any spare ones, or can maybe cannibalise some from a poorer stick, they are quite easy to fix. Failing that you can open the broken microswitch itself, it usually is just a stuck spring that is the problem.

I have a couple of Competition Pros for the Amiga, and have a USB version for the PC. I really liked them just for that reason that they are easy to fix when something goes wrong. Having messed around with both, it seems the only real difference between the Zipstik and the Competition Pro apart from the look is the switches for the firebuttons. While the Zipstik had proper microswithces for them too, the Competition Pro had a pair of long connectors that bent and connected when you pressed the button. These would get worn and not connect any more after some use, so as they got older I had to more and more frequently open my joysticks to bend these a little so they would connect again.

The new USB Competition Pro however has also proper microswitches for firebuttons and is not using that solution the old ones did. So while it looks like a Competition Pro, it's actually built like a Zipstik. So it seems to me it's some sort of hybrid of the two.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:29 5th October 2007
I always found the feel of the two quite different. The Competition Pro sticks always felt stiffer and took more effort to manoeuvre, compared to the ZipStik which was slightly looser and less effort, making it nicer to use.

Can anyone remember what the joystick was called that had the variable stick tension? You could rotate a collar around the base of the stick to make the joystick movement stiffer or looser.

There was also a joystick released that had the Xybots arcade game joystick feature where you could rotate the stick 90 degrees left and right. This worked brilliantly for the game Xybots, where you rotate the joystick to rotate the character within the 3D levels by 90 degrees, allowing the actual joystick control for normal movement, but I'm not sure it was much use in many other games. Maybe useful in a Dungeon Master style graphical adventure/fps? I think that joystick was based on the Turbo Master II but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone know?

BTW, once I get the hardware section started I'm going to be including a hardware database that will work much like the game and demo sections, and I want to include a joysticks section. I don't want it to be as in depth as the Amiga Hardware site, but instead include the most useful hardware everyone used and knew about for quick reference, and include hardware manuals, any software it came with for download, images of the hardware and the packaging it came in. I'm hoping I can get this going next week.
[Reply]
Sharingan 20:09 7th October 2007
The joystick with the variable stiffness thing was called Cruiser, no?
[Reply]
Harrison 14:54 8th October 2007
The name Cruiser does sound very familiar so could be the one.
[Reply]
Sharingan 14:57 8th October 2007
That would be this baby then:

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:00 8th October 2007
That one looks very cheap but seems to have the same shape as a Comp Pro. And the Comp Pro was very reliable and solid.
[Reply]
J T 16:50 8th October 2007
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
That would be this baby then:

That was the shittiest joystick I ever used. The adjustment ranged from 'ridiculously stiff' through 'like bending a steel girder' to ' components completely encased in concrete'. Also very gay colours (even the name 'cruiser' has dodgy connotations).

ZIPSTIK FTW.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:44 8th October 2007
Hang on! I feel very stupid now. I have one of those Cruiser joysticks!

In my defence I have a lot of joysticks for the Amiga (and compatible systems). Must be 30+ joysticks + gamepads. Over the years many have come with systems I've obtained or have been given. The one I have looks the same, but is plain black so none of the Amstrad/Fisher Price colouring.

In that picture is does look a bit similar in shape to a Comp Pro, but actually it's quite different. The base is much long with the fire buttons a lot further forward and the joystick close to the back of the base.
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 14:10 11th October 2007
Tiago

In my opinion The best joystick for the amiga 600 is the bug joystick by Cheetah fact.

I got the amiga 600 when it was released and I got the black cheetah bug joystick I still have it now boxed mint condition no scratches.

It is the best Joystick for the amiga 600 and amiga 600 games if you going to get a joystick the bug is the best one to get.

You grasp "The Bug" with one hand under it (that hand also presses the buttons) and steer with the other. It has turbo and a double cord so even Master system and Sinclair Spectrum users could use it. It's very comfortable. The cord is splitted in a weird way at the first socket. That's why the cordlength says 125 + 21 cm.

Company: Cheetah
Made in: Unknown
Year: 1990?
System: Commodore, Amiga, Atari, Sinclair ZX Spectrum etc.
Buttons: 2 + joystick + turbo switch
Turbo: Yes
Autofire: No
Cordlength: 125 + 21 cm
Color: Green, Black
Other: Can be connected to both of the ports on the computer at the same time due to the double cord.

Ergonomically designed Body for Supreme Comfort
Suitable for Right or Left Hand
8 Directional Microswitched Control
2 Ultra-sensitive Microswitched Fire Buttons
Auto-fire Function
Indestructible metal shaft
Automatic centering

It come in lots of different colours including green and it also comes in iluminus colours aswell as seen below.

I also had one of the classic joysticks for flying games.

[Reply]
Blue Jedi 14:31 11th October 2007
I dont want tiago to get one of these.

or the power glove although I like the power glove.

go here to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBzKFm-rd0
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up