Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Scaremongering? Or prudent pre-planning?
v85rawdeal 09:30 19th September 2007
Did anybody see 2006 documentary on BBC4 last Monday called This Film Not Yet Rated. It is about the US movie rating system and it demonstrates just how crazy this system is, when compared to the European rating system, primarily with regard to sex and violence.

One example of this strangeness is 'Basic Instinct' was Rated R, and yet the Scary Movies and American Pie were considered for Rating NC-17 (which is even more restrictive than Rated 'R' movies)

Another example is that ANY film that seeks assistance from the US Military CANNOT show any negative side to the US Military machine, otherwise no assistance will be given. 5 copies of every script must be sent to the Pentagon, and if approved, an observer will be on set through the entire film making process to ensure that no changes are made. And they call that 'freedom of speech'???

Even more silly is that if you sell a cake with a Mickey Mouse image on it (without permission), you can get fined over $100,000 and spend 3 years in Jail.

God knows what will happen if it gets into such a state with regards to the games industry. Sure, there could be potential upsides to it. I could see the number of FPS set in recent times (i.e. the last century) being reduced, encouraging new ideas and settings (American civil war, anyone?). BUT imagine all driving games having to be watched over by representatives of the Police through production. Or, more extreme, games like The Sims or Nintendogs needing approval by Social Services or the RSPCA respectively.

Absurd, yes? But similar states already occurs in the film industry and with the budgets on games increasing, how long will it be before such demands are made of the games industry? Hopefully, people power can prevent such a thing coming to pass.

In the end, we the public, are the target for these movies and games, and we should have the right to judge for ourselves. I have managed that ever since I decided if I wanted to watch Nightmare on Elm Street round my friend's house (I was 13/14), and I intent to keep doing that. Sure, I made some decisions I regretted... and I learnt from them (usually!)

So bring on the good games, games that do not need shock value to be great, and let us, the public, disaffect ourselves from the nanny-state that is becoming a part of the game industry as it did the film industry. Surely we should get the chance to decide for ourselves.

If a game only uses controversy to shift it from the shelves, perhaps people will think twice about getting other games of that style, or from that publisher. By that process alone, the gaming industry has a chance to become self-regulating. No company wants to spend a mini-movie-budget on something that is not going to sell. And maybe that will encourage companies to try something different.

Let us shout loud and make our voices heard above the clamour of the media circus. The gaming industry's greatest moments occured in the bedrooms of young coders and imaginative minds. Let that be the breeding ground of the new generation, and let us take back that which we helped to flourish. Let not the rating system ruin our hobby, but let us build a sensible, balanced system to enhance our gaming pleasure.

What do others think?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up