Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Dim by Mellow Chips
Puni/Void 18:21 12th September 2007
Watched a few demos not long ago, and came accross a production called Dim by Mellow Chips. It was released at the Assembly party in Finland in 1996, where it got second place in the competition.

I remember that I was not a big fan of this demo when it was released. When I had a look now, I saw it with new eyes and I enjoyed it more than before. It certainly had a ton of different effects, and many of those were enjoyable to watch. The only thing which bugged me a bit was the music, which could have been better.

You can find the demo on Classicamiga.com via this link:

Dim by Mellow Chips

Have a look and please post what you thought about it. I think it's a very good demo, even if I didn't many years ago.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 18:43 12th September 2007
I get an error:

xec.library
runme.exe failed returncode 20

[Reply]
Harrison 23:58 12th September 2007
It looks interesting from the screenshots. I will watch it properly tomorrow.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:58 14th September 2007
When I try to run this demo the Amiga crashes. It plays the count down audio and the ship takes off, it then switches to a view of a planet and then the emulator gurus.

What WinUAE settings did you use to get it to run?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:13 14th September 2007
I tried with several CPU configurations, but I always get the same error. Help us PG
[Reply]
Puni/Void 15:13 14th September 2007
Strange that you guys have problems getting the demo to run properly. Could be that it is the archive that's faulty. I'll try to run the one via the download link myself right now.

- Going to test -

Well, it's actually running fine in the background right now, so I guess it must be your configs. Here's mine:

CPU: 68020 + more compatible activated + fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing
Chipset: AGA
Kickstart: 3.0
Chipram: 2MB
Fastram: 8MB

Hope that helps. If you need more information concerning my configuration, please ask.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:39 14th September 2007
Great. Those settings have fixed it

I didn't have "more compatible" selected and I was using KS 3.1. I switched to KS3.0 and selected more compatible and it now runs perfectly. Other than that my settings were the same as you listed.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 15:43 14th September 2007
Good to hear that you made it work. How did you like it?

I'm going to upload a few more prods from Mellow Chips this weekend, as they have plenty of good stuff in their backlog. Later on, they've made demos for TRSI, among those is one called Rise which is truly excellent.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:29 14th September 2007
I thought it was really good. Especially how they used 3D in a different way to most 3D Amiga demos, actually doing something with it rather than just showing examples of 3D object manipulation and texture mapping.

And the ship travelling through the tunnel shows that it might have been possible to actually create such a game, rather than the overlaid pre-rendered method used in Microcosm.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:52 17th September 2007
I still get the same error message.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up