Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Dim by Mellow Chips
Harrison 11:06 17th September 2007
What setup are you using to run it DC? I just set WinUAE using the settings mentioned above, then placed a Workbench 3.0 ADF in the DF0: floppy drive, extracted the DIM demo files into a directory on the PC and made that directory an HD. I then booted the emulator via the WB ADF into Workbench, and then launched the demo exe file and it ran fine.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:16 17th September 2007
Ok, now it works, I did not set it up as HD, but try to run the exe immediately through WinUAE.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:18 17th September 2007
Great. Let us know what you thought of the demo.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:38 17th September 2007
The demo is Ok, as you probably know, I'm an old school fan, so I prefer demos done on the A500. This demo is just like many, I don't like the pixelated and washed out textures, it doesn't look good to me. Perhaps at the end, the camera flying through the futuristic 3D setting, but then again, it's ugly to watch.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:44 17th September 2007
What you say is true about the textures, but at the time when this demo was released texture mapping in most games looked like this, and looking at any PSOne game these days would show similar pixelated low resolution textures being used. It is very impressive for an Amiga though.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:43 17th September 2007
Originally Posted by :
It is very impressive for an Amiga though.
That is totally true, but in my eyes, it doesn't make it better. Stick to what the Amiga can do best, and try to satisfy people in that way.
[Reply]
Harrison 07:39 18th September 2007
The problem is that demo groups never want to just code something that the hardware is good at. They always want to try and push it beyond the current limits of expectation.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 09:13 18th September 2007
So try to display 150 rotating vectors on a 500
[Reply]
Puni/Void 06:17 25th September 2007
Harrison wrote:

Originally Posted by :
The problem is that demo groups never want to just code something that the hardware is good at. They always want to try and push it beyond the current limits of expectation.
Which is a good thing, as it boosts progress. Chances are a bit slim that we would have seen games based around texture-mapping on the Amiga if the coders had just stuck with what the Amiga was best at. Democrews did in some ways pave the way for titles like Alien Breed 3D 2, Breathless and Gloom. What couldn't be done was proved possible.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:13 25th September 2007
That is very true. I remember how excited the Amiga magazines got when they saw some of the first texture maze demos as it finally meant the possibility to make FPS style games was here.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up