Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: I was thinking of flashing... my DS!
toomanymikes 19:15 10th September 2007
Hi
In order to pretend I'm actyually going backwards rather than forwards in time my lovely girlfriend bought me a DS for my Bday (all her own idea so cudos to her).
Anyhoos, I was reading an earlier post about the pros and cons on getting a flashcard reader for the DS and looked up the guides on Maxconsole. The one thing they dont really make clear is the software you can run with a flashcard reader - is it all homebrew flash applications or can you actaully run DS cartridge backups and therefor run full commercial DS games?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:40 10th September 2007
As far as I know you can run commercial games, JT has got the M3 DS Simply and it seems to work like a charm. The same is the R4 Revolution, and lately there's also the Supercard DSOne which has been released, which seems to be as good as the other two. Perhaps wait for JT or send him a PM for further info, or just have a look at the discussion we had in THIS thread.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 19:41 10th September 2007
Thanks DC - great advice as usual
[Reply]
J T 20:44 10th September 2007
Which are you after more - homebrew or playing ('Trial versions of' - Ed.) DS games?

As DC said, I have the M3DS Simply and it is utterly fab for DS roms (boots from clean roms, no patching of the roms or flashing of the DS itself required), it's easy easy peasy. It's not quite so good for homebrew, but that is being worked on. I have to say the only homebrew sort of thing I have tried was ScummVM for the LucasArts games (Monkey Island 1 & 2 for me) and it was a bit of a faff at first but not too hard.

Really, I personally can't fault the operation of this little card of joy. It's cheap, too. Only problem I've had with mine is the catch that holds the MicroSD card in broke, so I have to hold the card in with Steve's magical cure......... sellotape
[Reply]
toomanymikes 20:57 10th September 2007
Hmmm, it looks like thats a certain purchase then...
Thanks for the advice!
[Reply]
J T 21:03 10th September 2007
No problem. I got a 1GB card for mine and that holds more than enough to keep me entertained, but a bigger one would only be a bonus, and there are 2 gig ones for keen prices now.

If you torrent, go to bitgamer and look for the 'no-intro' DS sets where you can find complete DS ROM sets (all clean, well seeded and updated regularly too).

Be SURE to check out the Ouendan games (I imported mine). The first one especially is made of PURE ACENESS.

Any other Q's or anything, just ask.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 21:51 10th September 2007
So can you fit more than one game at a time on the SD cards or do you have to put them on seperate cards like normal DS games? If so, how do you select what you want to play?
Im not that interested in homebrew unless there are any decent Amiga remakes so i suppose its for the trial versions...
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 21:56 10th September 2007
I suppose this is the same as with the PSP, you can put several games on one card, and choose which one to play when you start/reset the console. Otherwise it would make no sense.
[Reply]
J T 23:13 10th September 2007
Yep, you can fit as many games on as the card's capacity will allow*. When you turn on the DS the Simply boots to it's own menu and you select what you want to play from a list. Easy.

The new firmware even supports booting with cheats enabled, like Action Replay in a way.

*Remembering to leave 512k spare for each game, for the creation of the save file. This also makes backing up save files onto the PC drag n drop simplicity. ROMs of course vary in size, and can be trimmed to make them a bit smaller - I rarely bother with this, as it can (rarely) cause problems with stability or things like online or local multiplayer.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 17:39 29th September 2007
How good is the m3 ds simply? Too good to mention! What an ace bit of kit!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up