Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: What game(s) are you playing right NOW?
Ghost 07:48 23rd August 2009
I recently bought the new Wolfenstein game but could not play it immediately because there is Securom on it and I did not want to infect my computer with it.

But I now have a solution for it and have played and finished it for the first time.

I am a bit disappointed by the consolification such as the removal of the health bar (auto health now) and quick save options, making it clear this is a port, but at least you can carry more than two weapons and I still had a fun time with this.

The whole 'hub' section from which you go to missions is a little different than the various environs of RTCW but I can't say it bothered me that much.

I enjoyed this game more than Dead Space which I bought second hand some time before, it was rather standard and cliché and the so called scary sections sometimes rather made me laugh than spooking me.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:26 24th August 2009
Playing Prototype at the moment on the PS3. Played about 7-8 hours now and it still makes fun, but it's indeed very repetitive and I guess it will get boring after some more hours. But as I don't play every day, only from time to time, it might not be that bad.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:20 25th August 2009
Prototype is indeed a bit repetitive and can get boring. Especially if you just spend some time walking around the city exploring. But if you keep triggering events then it keeps things more exciting, especially as you gain the more powerful abilities.

At the moment I'm eagerly waiting to play the new Wolfenstein. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is still one of my favourite games of all time, so I have high hopes for this new one. Really looking forward to playing it and just hope it sticks to the series.
[Reply]
Ghost 09:29 27th August 2009
In general I found Wolfenstein's SP campaign entertaining and Raven got the off beat WW2 game story right (on another forum there were people who actually wanted Wolfenstein to be a realistic WW2 FPS, aren't there enough already?).

I had no problem with the graphics while some complained that it wasn't next gen or as complex as Crysis.

What I would have liked was simply a bit 'more', for example a larger hub section which to travel too and bigger 'mission levels', when you look at the size of places like the castle and the Luftwaffe airbase you would really like there to be more to explore.

The quality is there, but I would like some more quantity.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:46 27th August 2009
Testing some games on the Wii at the moment, I played Cursed Mountain two days ago and I found it quite good and pretty scary.

Also testing WiiWare stuff with my girlfriend, mainly 2 player games.
[Reply]
Teho 18:08 27th August 2009
I've been playing Wolfenstein lately as well. It's absolutely a good game, no question about that. Ok so it doesn't reinvent anything but why does every game have to? As long as they do what they do well, they're great games in my book. And Wolfenstein does what it does well.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 18:55 27th August 2009
On the PS3, I be mostly playing Fallout 3.

I am working my way through Lost Odyssey on the 360.

Was hoping to be playing Dissidia on the PSP, but I still gotta get a new screen for it.

Haven't touched the Wii for a long time...

Not really doing much at the moment with either the Amiga or the PCs.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:41 28th August 2009
Originally Posted by Ghost:
I recently bought the new Wolfenstein game but could not play it immediately because there is Securom on it and I did not want to infect my computer with it.
I hate copy protection systems. It is one major reason in support of pirated games. All such issues removed.

But I now have a solution for it and have played and finished it for the first time.

Originally Posted by Ghost:
I am a bit disappointed by... the removal of the health bar (auto health now) and quick save options, making it clear this is a port, but at least you can carry more than two weapons
The removal of the health bar has been common in many recent PC FPS games and I personally think it adds to the gameplay. It requires more strategy as you need to find cover and recover from injury before continuing. This really adds to the suspense of a situation and hightens the real sense of danger in the game as you are aware of every bullet hitting you. With a health bar they make you pretty much immune until it depletes. Getting rid of the bar in my view is an advancement as it replaces arcade style fighting with more realistic situations.

I've also liked the idea of directional indicators showing where bullets are coming from. In the past it has been so easy in FPSers to become disorientated to the direction of the enemy hitting you. With these indicators it adds to your senses and improves things.

As for quick save points or check points. I'm not so sure which works better. Check points give the player a higher sense of achievement when they finally reach one and know they are safe from having to repeat the last section, but equally quick save options allow you to remove the frustration of repeating parts of a game.
[Reply]
Sharingan 15:25 28th August 2009
Been juggling quite a few games lately, among which some spiffy Playstation Store downloadables. Funny how €8 games offer more entertainment and lastability compared to some fullprice titles...

Anyway, I'm currently trying to finish:

BioShock - great atmosphere, expected it to be more creepy
Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires - not much depth, but I like a bit of hack and slash now and then
Burn Zombie Burn - hilarious Smash TV-inspired shooter, but with zombies
Fat Princess - another hilarious PSN game; essentially a RTS, but you get to control the little men doing the harvesting, the fighting, the bombing etc.
Flower - interactive artwork, breathtaking
Batman Arkham Asylum - possibly the best comic-to-game adaptation so far in history
Resident Evil 5 - zombies
inFamous - still have to start this
[Reply]
Puni/Void 10:35 6th October 2009
Recently I've played Fallout 3 with all the different expansions installed. Recommended!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
2 3 4 5 6 7
Up