Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Disable the Apple Bonjour service!
Harrison 12:18 6th September 2007
On Mac OSX Apple use a network service called Bonjour which looks at the network and finds all connected devices and systems, including other computers and printers on the network, and announces itself to them so they appear to the system.

But with the latest version of Apple's PC products they are now also installing this as a service which then runs in Windows. Why? Who knows!

If you have Quicktime 7 installed then you will also have the Bonjour service installed and running on your system. It is not needed and can even cause network problems.

note: it is also installed with the Windows version of iTunes, but I'm not sure if it is required for iTunes to work with the iTunes network and iPod connectivity. As I don't own an iPod and refuse to use the rubbish that is iTunes I cannot say for sure if removing the Bonjour service will effect them working. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought into the iPod hype then it might be best to leave Bonjour running if you have no problems. For everyone else, get rid of it ASAP.

To remove this service from your system I have attached a small program that will do this for you. Just download this exe file and run it.
Attached: TurnOffBonjour.zip (22.6 KB)
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 13:53 6th September 2007
Another package that it is included with is Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, which means it could also be included in a lot more of Adobe's products.

I had this problem when I installed DW CS3 on my machine. At first I wondered whether the problems were due to my source but after a browse through newsgroups I found out that Adobe were including it as part of their package.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:15 6th September 2007
That is because many of the Adobe applications need to use Quicktime to gain full functionality.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 08:43 7th September 2007
I have QuickTime 7 but I didn't know it had anything to do with Bonjour.

I ran the programme and it said that Bonjour is not running.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:10 7th September 2007
What version of Quicktime 7 are you running? It was only added with the latest versions.

One thing Apple have finally done is offer the standalone version of Quicktime for download next to the version with iTunes combined. When Quicktime 7 was first released the only download they offered that you could find easily was the one with iTunes combined. The standalone version was very hard to locate and was buried somewhere else within the Apple site. Shows what enough people moaning can do. You can't force people to install useless junk forever.

A similar one that always annoys me is when an installer tries to get you to install Google Desktop.
[Reply]
jheydude1 01:42 19th October 2007
I was looking around for an uninstall feature for the dam thing and didn't find squat! I googled for a solution and here I am! thanxz again!!!
[Reply]
Harrison 10:47 19th October 2007
You are welcome.

It is bad how companies like Apple force the installation of such unwanted software onto our systems without asking us. They shouldn't be able to do this by law without first displaying a notice during the installation telling us it will be installed.
[Reply]
GuruSnaish 09:28 26th March 2008
I think Bonjour was installed with the Adobe Master Collection, along with heaps of other stuff! Thanks for the help!
[Reply]
Harrison 11:14 26th March 2008
Again this would be because the latest version of Quicktime is installed alongside the Adobe products as part of the Adobe Master Collection.
[Reply]
Buleste 11:39 26th March 2008
QuickTime is evil.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up