Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Installing Java games on mobile
Harrison 16:55 10th September 2007
How far away from the monitor are you sitting Steve?
[Reply]
AlexJ 17:33 10th September 2007
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
Nokia's bundled software allows you to install Java game via. Cable or Bluetooth. I think you can even just plonk the file on the memory card through Windows Explorer and that'll work too.

Originally Posted by :
But I hardly ever played games on the mobile phone anyway, and I havn't even used the mobile phone at all since about February (I just switched it on every couple of months to check for messages, and there were none).
The network will disconnect you if you don't make a paid-for call, text or data service in (I think) 90 days.
No it doesn't.
Might be more correct to say "No it hasn't". A phone I lost and then found about a year later had been disconnected and when checking with the network (O2) they said it was due to lack of use and the number may have been reassigned so I'd have to have a new one. They may give you longer than 90 days, but from that 90th day, there's nothing preventing them from cutting you off.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:04 10th September 2007
Is that true of all networks?

Also what about sim cards with numbers assigned but never actually used? Does that mean that after 90 days those sim cards might have their numbers disabled?
[Reply]
AlexJ 23:28 10th September 2007
The big 4 have all got it written in their T&C. It only applies to PAYG mobiles, contract phones will keep the number for as long as you pay line rental regardless of how many calls you make. I've just checked the T-Mobile T&C's (my current network) and their policy is 180 days. I'm not sure what the situation is with sim cards that aren't activated.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:46 12th September 2007
SIM cards tend to have expirey dates on them. I know O2 ones do but I'm not sure about others. I found out about these when I sold a load of free ones and people asked me when they expired (I did actually make quite a bit on money doing that).

I know O2 will also cut you off after not using your telephone for a long period of time but I'm not sure how you have to use it to stop that happening. I don't know what Virgin do, but my phone still works.

Originally Posted by :
How far away from the monitor are you sitting Steve?
About 6 feet. ( I reorganised everything in my room and no longer have room to set the computer up properly).
[Reply]
Tiago 15:02 12th September 2007
I had a Motorola V550 that runs Java nicelly.
Here in Portugal, mobile market is quite advanced, most companies of telecomunications and mobile phones do their tests in Portuguese market first before selling the product in rest of europe
Thru local Vodafone, i have probably 100 java games ready to download directly thru mobile phone for around 1 euro each , same games cost 2 or even 3, no more then that.

The major problem, is that after a while playing games your eyes will begin to hurt a litle, mobile phone screens are not so good....
I played a lot Prince of persia sands of time during train travels, and my eyes always hurt a litle after 30/45 minutes...

But i only did it thu direct download, i never install them thru pc or samething similar.
[Reply]
AlexJ 15:34 12th September 2007
I don't know what Virgin do, but my phone still works.
Their website says:

"We may suspend our services or disconnect any SIM card(s) from the network without warning if you choose not to make a call or send a text message for 180 days or more"
[Reply]
Harrison 03:44 14th September 2007
I've been going through a load of Java games on my new phone this week.

The phone codes to access and install the games works fine, with the only other hassle being JAD files which are needed with the game JAR files for the phone to install them, but many games I have didn't contain any JAD files so I've had to use a utility called JADMaker to create them which has worked perfectly.

I managed to download some nice mobile phone Java game torrents I found. Some games won't install, with the phone giving a Java error, which I assume means those games are not compatible with the E900, but many others install and run perfectly which is great.

The only other annoying thing is limited Java memory which is restricted to 4MB on the E900 so I can only install about 30 games at any one time. Not much memory allocated to Java when you consider the phone has 80MB of total built in memory, plus an SD Micro slot. So why do they only allocate 4MB for Java apps? It is still better than my old Samsung E700 that only had 1.5MB of Java memory.

I even managed to get a couple of my favourite games I had on my old phone installed and working, but not all of them. I was hoping Baldur's Gate would work because that ran too slowly to be playable on my old phone, and the new one would have been much faster to make the game fun to play.

The only game I can't find is Lemmings. The phone came with a trial version of the game and it's a nice port, looking and playing just like the Amiga version, but smaller. But I'm not paying £4.50 for it!

Among the games I've so far liked are:

Dr Frankenstein - An isometric puzzle game much like Cadaver or Knight Lore. Very nice graphics and good controls.
Dungeon Storm - A 3D hack and slash style action RPG. The 3D graphics rotate and move smoothly.
Crash Nitro - Based on the Crash Nitro Boost PSX game. More in common with sprite racers like Lotus it plays well.
Call of Duty 2 - A very nice port of this game. Intead of FPS, this mobile version using a third person above view and it works well on the small screen.
Empire Earth - A full 3D isometric version of this PC game.
Elkware's Backgammon - Nice version of backgammon, and the AI is fast so you are not waiting for it to think.
Othello - Good version of this classic board game
Worms - This is a very nice port of Worms. Works well and can be played between phones via bluetooth.
The Chaos Engine - Great port of the Amiga game, with the levels being very similar to the original.
Super Bomberman - Great port to the small screen.
Puzzle Bobble - Again a nice port of this game. One of my favourite puzzle games so great I got this one to work.
Tetris - You can't beat the classics.
Arkanoid - This plays just like the original, although the phone controls make it quite hard to control.
Alpha Wing - Very nice shoot 'em up
Tempest - Good version of this shooter. Very hard to control using the mobile controls.
Time Rider II - Nice Shoot 'em up
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:33 15th September 2007
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
I don't know what Virgin do, but my phone still works.
Their website says:

"We may suspend our services or disconnect any SIM card(s) from the network without warning if you choose not to make a call or send a text message for 180 days or more"
That'll explain why it still works then, as I have called 789 a couple of times.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up