Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: A dedicated emulation system
Submeg 10:26 5th February 2007
What games are we talking? Like PSX games?
[Reply]
Harrison 11:45 5th February 2007
It may have trouble with PSX emulation, but I did used to run ePSXe emulation on a 400 MHz P2 and it could nearly keep up, so a PC twice as fast might be OK, as long as its graphics card was ok too. I would still expect it to have some slowdown.

MAME also supports some 3D systems, include the arcade version of the Playstation that ran the Tekken and Soul Edge games. There are also other more recent systems it supports that a slower PC would struggle with.

Other systems such N64 might be OK at lower resolutions. Sega Saturn and Dreamcast emulation would probably both not run too well. Basically anything from the 32-bit or newer era might have some problems or be too slow to have fun.

If you were looking to build a new system then the socket 939 Athlon 64 range is new very affordable. You can get an AMD64 3200+ for £43.
[Reply]
Submeg 20:14 5th February 2007
Cool cool. So what kind of games are running on MAME? The old old games,but also the new games such as Tekken...
[Reply]
Harrison 16:16 6th February 2007
MAME emulates a LOT of Arcade machines. It supports arcade games from the start in the 70's up to 2005. Most of the arcade games from the start up to the mid 90's are emulated perfectly, whereas some of the newer games included don't currently work perfectly and their emulation is still being perfected as newer versions of MAME get released and so how well they work is constantly being improved. At the moment you can perfectly emulate 5677 games out of the 6437 total that MAME supports.

Many of the games that are currently flagged as "not working" will actually work too. They just give some graphical or audio glitches. Some don't have any sound or some are missing textures or lose graphics for a few seconds as you play.

If you only installed MAME as the only emulator on their PC it would still take you a very long time to play every game it supported! 6437 games is a lot to get through!
[Reply]
Submeg 22:29 6th February 2007
....6...4...3..7...games.......
[Reply]
Harrison 23:13 6th February 2007
Can you now see why we like MAME so much!

Having nearly every Arcade game at your disposal is an amazing thing.
[Reply]
AlexJ 23:21 6th February 2007
A number which just keeps on growing as well:

[Reply]
Submeg 01:55 7th February 2007
Yea I see that now....wow. Looks like Im gonna need a new comp....
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:30 7th February 2007
Nice history graphic, I started with v0.31 back then.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:03 7th February 2007
I started with the first public release, whichever version that was. I know the 0.1 releases were not public (AFAIK).

I also remember it was much harder to find the rom sets back then. I think I only had around 30 or 40 rom sets for MAME to begin with.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up