Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Favourite Arcade games of all time?
v85rawdeal 09:09 4th February 2007
Like a lot of the people in here have stated, Gauntlet remains a classic for me.

I spent many an hour at the arcade playing it, getting stupid scores and hoping that my 1 credit would last for some time.

Then it came out on the home machines, and well... that was like hog's heaven for me.

Ended up getting the CPC version first, which, I will be honest, is probably gonna rank as my all-time favourite version of the game, if only because of the record-breaking games I used to have on there. Mind you, even as an 8-bit version, it was a beautifully accurate conversion.

But yes, mainly because of my own personal records (Longest game without dying - well, over 15 hours (the 464 overheated and crashed before I died); and highest score I ever managed on any version - well, over 6 million (and that was before I knew the secret of Mr Death). Plus, I beleive it was one of the VERY first games with a expansion pack released for it (The Deeper Dungeons). Please correct me if that last bit was completely wrong... but it is the first one I remember!

But i was always impressed by the opening intro for G2 on the 16-bit machines, as you zoomed into the arcade machine, and the fire-breathin' dragon.

Bring it back, I say, in it's pure form... On the PSP (that'd rock)
[Reply]
Harrison 01:49 5th February 2007
The first home version of Gauntlet I had was the CPC464 version too. I played it two player with a friend after school each night. I paused it at the end of each night and turned the brightness and contrast as far down as they would go on the monitor, and then we resumed again the next night. We managed to loop the levels round twice, but then got bored of the game and stopped playing. I can't remember what the score was though.

I had completely forgotten about the Gauntlet 2 intro. I remember finally getting the game for the Atari ST, after playing it for so long on the 464 and looking at the ST box every time I went to the local games stores. Great game.
[Reply]
Toasty667 16:19 2nd May 2007
Killer Instinct 2. Fast and furious with a unique look and style, even back in '96 that kind of originallity was hard to find in a beat 'em up.

The Star Wars X-Wing shooter. The one with the really crappy wire frame graphics but for gameplay it was excellent.

Street Fighter 2. Does this game need any introduction? Well unless any of you hibernate that is. What started the beat 'em up ball really rolling is still a firm favourite.

Crude Busters. This was a scrolling beat 'em up. Why I liked it was because that type of fighter was pretty shallow, run along, punch someone in the face etc etc. Fun though that was this game allowed you extra features like using parts of the environment as weapons. Lamp posts, 2X4's and even burned out cars. Oh and you could pick up your opponents too and use them as a projectile.

Space Harrier. Simple shooty gaming for a child that's naff at it.

Oh and any Mortal Kombat machine I can get my mits on.
[Reply]
Submeg 04:19 3rd May 2007
Originally Posted by Toasty667:

The Star Wars X-Wing shooter. The one with the really crappy wire frame graphics but for gameplay it was excellent.

Street Fighter 2. Does this game need any introduction? Well unless any of you hibernate that is. What started the beat 'em up ball really rolling is still a firm favourite.
I second that X-Wing Shooter, that is good fun!

Did anyone play Body Blow by any chance? What was the first system that was released onto?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 07:31 3rd May 2007
Originally Posted by :
Space Harrier. Simple shooty gaming for a child that's naff at it.
In my opinion, Space Harrier is overrated, there are a whole lot of better games/shooters.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:38 3rd May 2007
True, but Space Harrier is still great fun to play, and at the time the fast paced into the screen action was amazing.

The original vector graphics Star Wars arcade cabinet is still one of my favourite cabinets of all time and I hope to one day own a restored one! In my dreams! When that cabinet came out the vector graphics were quite cutting edge and the analogue voices "use the force luke" etc really did add a lot to the game.

The Amiga port of Star Wars is pretty well done too. As is the sequel.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:47 3rd May 2007
I remember the Star Wars cabinet, it was huge and looked amazing. The vector graphics also looked great, at that time. And the audio output was very loud, when you entered the arcades, you could immediately tell where the cabinet was situated
[Reply]
Toasty667 11:57 4th May 2007
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I remember the Star Wars cabinet, it was huge and looked amazing. The vector graphics also looked great, at that time. And the audio output was very loud, when you entered the arcades, you could immediately tell where the cabinet was situated
Yeah that's true, love the sample's and the VERY simple version of the Star Wars theme lol. If only I could have used the force. I'm no good at shooters but I enjoyed this one.
[Reply]
IRSISRSRI 08:04 6th May 2007
Nothing beats Snow Brothers.

For everyone that likes Golden Axe, a lesser known great with the same idea was Die Hard Arcade, it's awesome if you don't mind the mid 90's crude 3D graphics.
[Reply]
AlexJ 16:08 6th May 2007
Originally Posted by IRSISRSRI:
Nothing beats Snow Brothers.
Did you know: An Amiga conversion of Snow Bros. was completed but never released. It's since been found and put onto the web as an .adf file.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up