Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Any former Spectrum users on this board?
v85rawdeal 10:24 26th August 2007
I didn't own a Spectrum, had a CPC instead, but I loved the little machine. I was always happy to play on a Speccy, especially if the option was that or a C64, because at the time it seemed to me that all the C64 owners were smug little tykes who needed a smacked bottom and a good telling off for being snotty-nosed. I am a lot older now, thankfully, as are we all, and we no longer indulge in such pettiness...

*looks up*
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 12:08 26th August 2007
You have got me thinking about C64 games now.
I want to play Exploding Fist II but one of my thumbs and one of my fingers is red raw.
Bugger.
[Reply]
Ghost 23:36 26th August 2007
Originally Posted by TiredOfLife:
I can't believe you think the graphics on the speccy were better than the 64.
Off the top of my head, remembering Way of the Exploding Fist.
The graphics were truly awful on the speccy.
Hello TiredOfLife,

I haven't said that the graphics of the Spectrum are better, just that they seem a little more detailed.
While the Commodore 64 to me seems to be capable more regarding graphics, somehow the details gets lost.

Hello Harrison,

Its not as much that Halo and Gears of War are the best games for me on the moment, but these are two titles that are mentioned a lot in the current gaming crowd.

I do agree that gameplay wise they aren't that impressive or that standard setting.
However a lot of modern day gamers don't know about the machines of yesterday or simply judge them on their graphics and capacities.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:40 26th August 2007
This is very true. Most young people of today just look at the graphics and instantly dismiss a whole system based on one image, because it doesn't live up to their expectations to grab their short attention spans.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:28 27th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
all the C64 owners were smug little tykes who needed a smacked bottom and a good telling off for being snotty-nosed
Would be cool if you could write that sentence in english for me
[Reply]
Tiago 12:51 27th August 2007
Well i still have my Spectrum 48k working, and i remember the C64, i think the old commodore was better then spectrum, graphics and sound, but i never own one, just the Spectrum
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:56 27th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
i think the old commodore was better then spectrum, graphics and sound
That depends on the games, some were better (whether graphics, sound, playability...) on the C64, some one the Spectrum and others even on the CPC. At Retro Gamer forums they have a comparison thread, where they compare several games on these 3 platforms.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:18 27th August 2007
It was always down to the coding abilities. In an ideal world Spectrum games would have looked and sounded the worst out of the three platforms in all games, but this wasn't the case due to good speccy coders, and bad ports to the other platforms.

The C64 when coded correctly could produce some great graphics, but many times things got rushed and the resulting games looked horrible. But worst hit for this was the CPC as so many games were just ported across from the Spectrum and looked identical, except for the colour clash being removed. But when a game was coded directly for the CPC they could look amazing. Look at Gryzor for a great example of this.

I do get the comments regarding spectrum graphics. Due to the sprites being single colour they did look quite crisp and stood out well. And when games were coded in black and white they looked really good on the spectrum. But they were far from a match for the other 8-bit machines at the time when they were coded correctly.
[Reply]
Tiago 13:32 27th August 2007
I trade:
ZXSpecrtrum 48K
tape loader
monitor
cassetes
+ extra cash

for 1 Amiga

anyone?
[Reply]
FOL 16:44 8th September 2007
Just so you guys know (those who have a psp). I have setup a new site for PSPectrum, we are going to be helping with development of it.

url = http://pspectrum.pspuae.com
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up