Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Which game has the best box art?
toomanymikes 21:51 19th August 2007
Which game has the best artwork in your opinion? Is it the work of Psygnosis such as Shadow of the Beast or Ork? Or is the Team 17's Project X or Alien Breed? Perhaps the fantastically super violent cover for Gods floats your boat.

I love simplicity so my favourite has to be the cover to Cannon Fodder; a red poppy on a black background with the title. Quite powerful.
[Reply]
FOL 21:53 19th August 2007
For me Turrican 1, that box art was great.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:19 20th August 2007
The Alien Breed box art with the face leaves a lasting impression.

Others I liked a lot included CD32 Impossible Mission 2025, Eye of the Beholder, Flashback and Shadowworlds. There are loads more but I remembered those first.

The Flashback one I have is especially good as it has a slide off outer cover which is shaped, and with the eyes cut out revealing what's below. Slide it off to see more artwork and rotoscoping examples. Great box design.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 07:28 20th August 2007
Darkseed had a fantastic box / art design too. I love it when time and effort goes into presentation.
[Reply]
Sharingan 10:02 26th August 2007
I really like most of the boxart from Bob Wakelin. He drew the covers for stuff like Ivanhoe, Epic and Space Gun, among other things. It isn't often you'll find hand-painted box art anymore - most of it nowadays is CG.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 10:15 26th August 2007
From what I remember, the Cinemaware games always had quite stylish, retro-cinema covers for their games, which fitted the games perfectly.

The problem with a lot of the psygnosis artwork was that it didn't always convey the game to me quite so well.

Another great artist is Royo, the artist who did most of the Dynamic games (Army Moves, Game Over, Game Over 2) mind you, they did have to spend a lot of time censoring the original artworks.
[Reply]
Sharingan 10:28 26th August 2007
Dude, Royo is an awesome artist. I have some of his art books, and the guy's a genius. Didn't know he worked on anything game-related, though.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 11:11 26th August 2007
This is his cover art for Navy Moves

And this is the 'censored' art for Game Over

Will dig out others asap
[Reply]
Sharingan 12:26 26th August 2007
Yeah, that looks like the same style alright. Entering 'Luis Royo gallery' in Google should net you some pictures of his other works.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 12:35 26th August 2007
I have trading collections of his, so I will go through them and scan the game-cover images for you to see some of the uncensored versions
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up